I am sure there are some of you who are confused by this Thought: “A Sales Thought but we are not talking about Selling?”
Well, it may be a little confusing, but I am encouraging you when faced with a situation that another provider had done all of the work up front- and THEN- you get involved late. Many a sales person has bemoaned the situation of “Getting There to late” as a reason for Not Pursing an Opportunity.
However, Coming Late to the Game can be an Advantage – if you Don’t Sell, and Focus instead on: Resetting, Expanding, Redirecting what the Sale is Really All about.
Is it Easy? – No.
Resetting Vision is about Making a Change- and Change the customer was not expecting – and Can encourage them reopen the Competition. Here are some ideas:
- Don’t involve Price – If you think it is about Price, then you have already lost – it is Rarely Only about Price
- Focus on Both the “Here and Now as well as Tomorrow.” Customer’s needs for Anything rarely stay the same. One Technique is to help them by showing the Other/Additional things that they Might do with Your product
- Don’t attack your competitor. Rarely works and usually makes you look worse than them.
- Involve New People in the Evaluation – You may need to get a new person/title involved who may have different Needs than the Base Requirements.
- Relay Stories of how similar Businesses to your Potential Customer have used your Product to address similar Issues.
And Finally. to Reiterate: Don’t Sell. Focus on how the Company you are talking with can be helped by using your product or service.
Its Not Easy but it Can be done.