As I have worked with many organizations, the first thing that I always see is the Heavy Focus on Product- whether that Product is a true Product or a Service. Either way, it is First Stop in the Education of Sales Staff. Now, I certainly not trying to say that you don’t need to know what you are selling! Of course you do- the question is to what Extent.
What is interesting, is that I have seen, across, nearly Every Organization i work with, that the Best Sellers DON’T focus on Product- OR Price. Especially early in the Process.
Great Sellers Act this Way:
- Always Be Learning – Not Closing, LEARNING! The More you Learn, the Faster you can apply it & the Better you fare..
- Focus on the Why: Why is the Customer Interested? Why Now?
- Focus on Making the Customer Curious; If you can make a Customer curious about what you sell, then you can translate that Curiosity into Buying
- Get the Customer Bought in the Direction that the Seller can Take them. Call it Vision, Call it Journey- whatever the Word – it is about where you Can take your Customer
- Demonstrate that you are not there just to sell a Product – It is about taking The Customer to Get Value from what they Buy
You may think this is Obvious. However, I encourage you to think about the Sales Process and where you take it going forward- Especially for New Opportunities.
What are you doing different? What different approach do you want from your Customers?