Sales of Complex Products is not easy. I ask similar Questions consistently. As opposed to saying “Where are you in this Account?” to More Specific Questions. I do not care what you are selling, these 3 issues are Key:
- Where are you with Relationships?
- Is the Customer Successful with what you have sold them?
- Do you have a PLAN to spread out your usage in the Account?
You have to look yourself in the Mirror, Not Make Excuses, and answer these 3 questions in every Account where you have responsibility. If not, you have a Problem.
So look at these 3 Issues from an Action Perspective:
- Relationship – is not parachuting people in to have dinner with a Prospect, it is about building a real relationship that is as valuable the Customer where the is NO deal on the table!
- Customer Success – Focusing on making sure that once they are sold, that the Company you work for will help them be successful with the Product or Service
- Pipeline – is not about selling one deal – it is about outlining to the Customer how your product can help them not only address their current business Issue, but other issues in the long – In Short- do you have a Plan?
What should you be doing?
Relationship: In the era of social networking, real relationships are more important than ever. Buyers want to know that there vendors really care – and not just when there is a deal on the table. Tools such as LinkedIn are just that – tools. You will flounder in the long run unless you are investing in real relationships.
Customer Success: The nature of Selling for the sales professional is not about selling and moving on to the next Prospect. But rather it is about ensuring that each Customer sold is successful using the product they just purchased.
Pipeline: Thinking beyond the deal at hand is essential. Unless you are selling a once in a lifetime product, a smart seller will focus on not just selling now, but making the people you are selling into customers for the long run. This is not about trying to sell more right now. The focus it is on the big picture and helping the customer understand where you can help them next. Sellers who do this invariably have more success, as they create a ready pipeline as they sell.
Notice the Selling More is Last in all 3 sections?