Account Planning. Many of your tuned out when you saw the Headline. “Not another Lecture on Account Planning.”
In this day and age of Speed and Change in Business, You rarely get a Do Over. It is about the following Process. Whatever and However you Sell, treat them as an “Account.”
If you take one thing away, write down the word EXECUTION
The moment you start thinking of Selling as a Deal by Deal Endeavor, you immediately put yourself in the Lower Class of Sellers. Great Sellers don’t think about “A Deal.” They think about how Each Transaction can lead to the next one.
The Best Analogy I can use is that of Great Billiard/Pool players: It is not about making One Shot. It is about Setting yourself up for the Next Shot!
I focus on 2 times of Account Execution: Selling Team/Company or Company/Client. Why 2 different times:
- Selling Team/Company – Is there a plan for the Entire Business to Sell or Further Sell a Client?
- Company/Client – With an Existing Customer – how do you keep selling to them? How about a Plan that is Mutually agreed on?
Planning is Built Top Down and Executed Bottom up. It is based on Goals/Objectives/Actions. There are a minimum of 3 Goals that must be agreed on:
- Relationship Management
- Roadmap to Revenue – or Further Revenue
- Customer Success
Backed up by appropriate Objectives per Goal and Actions per Objective, if You EXECUTE on a well developed Plan, it will work.
The reasons most Plans don’t work:
- They are developed as a Check the Box Exercise, not to use
- They are Developed by Teams themselves – Selling and Running Planning Meetings are NOT Related Tasks
- The Entire Organization is NOT bought in to Execute the Plan
Having done this 500+ times with organizations of all sizes, that 3rd point is the Killer of Plans. The Company is not bought in, and various People Insert themselves in the Process Outside the Plan.
If you don’t plan to Execute, save the time and don’t bother – The Team will be there but in Body only, not in Spirit of Execution.