Sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards. This is an old Analogy, but it is a Very True In Sales!
Or, said another way, what I challenge sales people all the time to do is to look at what you are doing, and then think HARD about what you could be doing Differently.
Why is this so important? Especially in today’s Faster and Faster Moving world, Sales Processes need to be updated more and more Frequently. It is not “Change for the Sake of Change.” No, it is because the Pace of Today’s Business Society is Faster and Faster. Sales may be the Process that Needs to change the fastest!
So, to all Sellers, Sales Managers, Enablement personnel: Thing Hard when you are looking at what a Seller is doing and decide if it is still Valuable. I have helped companies make Rounds of Change to Processes. Not for the Sake of Change, but because that is how fast things are changing.
Sellers: If you look at a prior Period, like a Month or a Quarter, and think “I did not close what I expected to,” there are a few ways to put it This is not good or bad, it just IS the way it IS:
- Customer Project got Slowed or Stopped: Possible, but it also that they did not have a Value based Reason to move Forward
- Your Price was too high: Not Likely, it is because you did not build enough Value into your Price. There are exceptions, but this is an old Excuse
- You, Your Team and Your Company Got Out Sold or Out Executed: This is the most likely situation that we see on the most frequent basis.
Anything other than number 3 is typically an Excuse.
So, in closing, let me say This:
- Do something Different
- Change Your Angle of Attack
- Update your Process
- Apply Lessons learned from a prior Win or better yet – a Loss
The Choice is yours. How can you make a change on Existing or New Opportunities or Accounts? The faster you do, the more Satisfaction you will likely have!
Radio Show on Monday at 4:00 USA East Coast Time: https://goo.gl.clwszs